My Visit to P&G Pet Care’s Iams and Eukanuba “Behind the Paw” Summit

My Visit to P&G Pet Care's Iams and Eukanuba

by Amy on May 20, 2011

in Four-Legged Friends,Travels

I’m trying hard to come up with a word to describe the trip I took last Sunday to the Dayton area of Ohio to learn about the Iams and Eukanuba brands. I’ve attended a fair share of events held for bloggers, but none to date can compare to this one, and I say that with complete sincerity.

I expected to spend time hearing a lot of marketing-speak, and while there was certainly a fair amount of this kind of information conveyed, this trip was less about acquiring product information to share with my readers (as most brand-related blogger events are) and more about trust. Maybe that’s the word I’m looking for. Iams wanted to tell us some things, of course, but they were even more interested in learning from us, and that is something special.

IMG_3100

Bloggers and P&G Pet Care employees together.

Iams and Eukanuba invited fifteen “influencers,” bloggers and traditional media writers, to spend three days with them within the walls of some of their most guarded locations, including their Pet Health & Nutrition Center (we were not allowed to take photographs at this site, but the photographs and videos appearing on this site: Pet Nutrition Center Videos correspond to what I saw), manufacturing plant in Leipsic and Proctor & Gamble head office in Mason. Was there sensitive information shared? Yes. Did I learn things about Iams and Eukanuba that I’d rather not know? Yes, but only that there are people out there who are spreading a number of lies and pieces of misinformation throughout the internet and pet world and that makes me sad. (If you see something questionable about these brands online, please take some time to speak to me or one of the other influencers who was on this trip. Their names are at the bottom of this post.)

I can’t in any way sum up all of the knowledge that I acquired on the trip in one post. I can, however, tell you that pet bloggers are really cool people, and their world is one I am curious to explore further. (There are entire blog conferences devoted to pet bloggers! And bloggers can bring their dogs and cats with them!)

I can also tell you that this was one classy event. We were shuttled around not on any old tour bus, but a luxury bus complete with leather couches, an entertainment system, a bar and a bathroom that is currently nicer than our ensuite bathroom here at home.

IMG_3090

The party bus.

All of the food and drink was taken care of the entire trip. Bowling shirts were provided for every influencer present for the Pins 4 Pets bowling tournament that was held. Thousands of pounds of dog food were donated to shelters. Every detail was thoughtfully prepared and perfectly executed. They set the bar high when it comes to taking care of bloggers!

I do intend to write a few more posts about the details of this experience, so I hope you will have patience with me over the next little while as I continue to digest the experience and share it with you.

Over the coming weeks I will share information with you about:

• the Pet Health & Nutrition Center and the fabulous manner in which the pets on site are maintained (hint: I’d totally let Farley and Rudy spend a weekend there),
  • the quality with which the Iams and Eukanuba pet food is manufactured (hint: it’s probably cleaner in that plant than in your very own kitchen), and
  • how the food you feed your pets can have an influence on their behaviour.

By now you might be wondering if we feed our own pets Iams food…and the answer to that question so far is, “No.” But that is only because I haven’t had the chance to get out and buy some for Farley and Rudy yet. They’ll be Iams cats by the weekend.

Iams Influencer “Behind the Paw” Summit 2011 Attendees:

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Susi May 20, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I look forward to comparing notes and reading your future blogs on the “Behind the Paw” summit. I can tell that we are like minded in our favorable impressions of the Pet Health & Nutrition Center and manufacturing plant in Leipsic. A pity that more people can’t see what we saw, but then, that’s why we were brought there….to see and spread the word about what we did see. Love what you’ve written!

Amy May 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Thanks, Susi! I really want to take some time to visit the other bloggers’ sites soon and read about their reactions, too. It’s been two weeks already! Where has the time gone? I’ve been enjoying your tidbits via Twitter.

Jen May 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

It was wonderful to meet you on the trip, I wish there was more time to get to know you, since I feel like we didn’t have much of a chance to talk.
I look forward to reading your future posts!

Bev and Flat Tyler May 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Amy it really was a pleasure to spend time with you and introduce you to everyone here at P&G Pet Care. I just wish we could have ordered nicer weather!

Bev and Flat Tyler May 20, 2011 at 2:00 pm

BTW–I’m hoping to get my garden photos downloaded to Facebook this weekend. I’ll shoot you a message as soon as I’m done so you can see!

Amy May 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm

How’s your garden coming along, Bev?

Pam May 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

Great post! This being my first blogging event I was completely blown away! I’m glad you got a chance to know some of us pet bloggers better and know that we’re only crazy in the good way!

Pam

Amy May 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Haha, yes Pam, crazy in a good way. I’m thinking of starting up a pet blog, actually, and will be sure to share the URL with the group when I get it running!

Peggy Frezon May 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

Stopping by to learn about your Iams and Eukanuba Summit. It sounds like a great event. I hope Farley and Rudy will enjoy their new food!

Amy May 30, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Peggy. So far they seem to be! Actually they both had their faces in the dish at the same time when I first fed it to them, which I have never seen them do before.

Donna Sword May 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi Amy, I’m one of those P&G pet passionate employees you heard about on your trip. Hope your visit was informative and adventuresome. Looking forward to hearing about things from your perspective!

Amy May 30, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Donna, thanks so much for popping in, I really do appreciate the follow-up.

Jeri Jo May 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I am sure they provided you with a glorious trip, dog and pony show but where are they getting the ingredients for Iams and other foods China??? Dont say canada as they import it from China. Just wondering. Did they satisfy you into forgetting how many animals died before they announced their recall? So glad to hear you all had a great trip.

Amy May 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jeri Jo. Thank you for your question. One of the bloggers along for the trip made sure to ask about where the ingredients for Iams and Eukanuba products come from. The response we received from Dr. Amy Dickie, a veterinarian who is employed at P&G Pet Care, was that the majority of all ingredients come from North America, with the exception of some venison and lamb, which comes from Australia. I’m sure some of the other bloggers who were taking more detailed notes could weigh in with their understanding of this question, as well.

What is your source of information telling you that their ingredients come from China, if I may politely ask?

Pam May 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I’ve never heard of any of their ingredients coming from China. Everything except, I believe, the lamb & venison come from North America. The lamb & venison actually come from New Zealand.

I didn’t ask any questions, nor did I hear about any conversations about pets dying from any recall.

P&G opened their doors wide to us and comes up with a great report card, from all I’ve talked to who attended along with us. Sometimes there’s just nothing to hide.

Pam

Gracey, The Tiniest Tiger May 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hi Amy,
All the raw ingredients with the exception of the lamb and venison, are sourced from North America. The lamb and venison are sourced from New Zealand, according to my notes.

It was great meeting you!

Paris @ DogTipper May 30, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Hi Amy,

I just checked my notes (and John’s, too); ingredients are from North America except lamb and venison from New Zealand. Enjoyed reading your post!

Lynette May 30, 2011 at 7:05 pm

It was an amazing trip and way more than a dog and pony show! It was wonderful to see the true passion that each and every one of the people that we met have for their pets and for the company they work for!

It was wonderful spending the time with you and the other bloggers :)

Lynette
xo

Rachel May 31, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I also checked my notes and they come from New Zealand and North America. It was great to meet you and I also have to say Iams employees were wonderful and very passionate about their job which I feel tells alot about the company! Preston says woof (hi) to Farley and Rudy!!